Do young boys benefit from roughhousing?
Love the CBC in my daily commute, and today it was all about a report titled “Better Supporting our Boys” that amongst other recommendations includes one that supports roughhousing.
From a CBC News report titled Quebec daycares urged to ‘positively welcome’ roughhousing for boys the 28-page report includes six “winning practices”:
- Welcome all children with kindness.
- Give a place to each child in the group.
- Create an environment that is conducive to building a masculine identity.
- Positively welcome war games and battle games.
- Create opportunities for challenges and competitions.
- Enrich reading activities.
Here are some other selected articles (in no order) on roughhousing:
- CBC News (April 13 2017) ‘Recognizing feelings’ better for boys than ‘war games’ and roughhousing, says Windsor daycare worker
- Today’s Parent (2014). Roughhousing: Aggressive or constructive behaviour?
- ABC News. (2011). Roughhousing With Dad Crucial for Development, say Researchers
- Huffington Post (April 13, 2017) . I’m All For Roughhousing, But Keep It Out Of Daycares
Check ’em out! Rowan
Entry filed under: Articles.