Archive for April 3, 2017
Submitted by Natalie C, one of our fabulous librarians:
The TDSB Professional Library has created an updated resource list of JK-12 fiction and multimedia materials supporting the April Character Education trait: Cooperation!
The full list is available through the Professional Library AW Character Education List forum.
Here are some highlights:
- 🍁 The Wolves Return by C. Godkin: After wolves are introduced into Yellowstone National Park, all the other animals and living things that are part of the park’s ecosystem thrive.
- 🍁 Buddy and Earl and the Great Big Baby by M. Fergus: Mismatched pals, dog Buddy and hedgehog Earl learn to adapt when a baby comes to visit.
- 🍁 Kings of the Court by A. Hughes: When the Gladiator basketball team’s coach is fired, the team mascot and announcer must step up to lead the team to victory.
- 🍁 Pocket Change: Pitching in for a Better World by M. Mulder: This book argues the benefits of working together to exchange goods and services to help reduce the negative effects consumerism has on our daily lives.
Young Adult Titles
- 🍁 Blood on the Beach by S. Harvey & R. Stevenson: 8 teens stranded on an island must work together to save their adult chaperones.
- 🍁 Saving Stevie by E. Richardson: When her sister abandons her newborn baby, Minto tries to raise the child on her own, but realizes she must rely on the assistance of her friends and neighbours to stay afloat.
These resource lists are produced to support teacher-librarians and teachers as they deliver instruction regarding the Character Education initiative and may be appropriate for read-alouds, literature circles, library displays, and more.
Please note the following points:
- These are selected resources based on favourable literature reviews;
- The Professional Library may own some of the listed books; teachers should also check their school libraries or local public libraries for availability;
- Teachers should preview the books for appropriateness before instructional use or recommending them to students.
- Related media resources are selected from TDSB Teaching Resources and the TDSB Virtual Library.
These links are available in TDSB digital spaces only. For more information, contact us at (416) 395-8289 or email@example.com.
Access all the Character Education Trait Lists: https://bit.ly/PLcharactered
*note: you must be logged in to your TDSB Google Account to view.
For assistance with logging in to your TDSB Google account, please visit http://bit.ly/PLhowtologin.
Here it is – the April new book list: April2017