February is fairness (Character ed books)
Submitted by Natalie, one of our fabulous reference librarians:
The TDSB Professional Library has created an updated resource list of JK-12 fiction and multimedia materials supporting the February Character Education trait: Fairness!
The full list is available through the Professional Library AW Character Education List forum. Here are some highlights:
- 🍁 Pig the Winner by A. Blabey: Greedy pug Pig will do anything it takes to win — even if it means not playing fair.
- 🍁 Elephant Journey by R. Laidlaw: The journey of three elephants from their cramped quarters in the Toronto Zoo to a sanctuary in California inspired by activists in Canada and the U.S.
- 🍁 Trial by Fire by N. McClintock: Riley attempts to get to the bottom of who burned down her neighbour, Mr. Goran’s barn, while the rest of her community is quick to blame Mr. Goran himself.
- 🍁 Level the Playing Field by K. Rutherford: An outline of the challenges female professional athletes have faced throughout history.
Young Adult Titles
- 🍁 Away Running by D. Wright & L. Bouchard: The experiences of Matt and Free, the first two foreign football players on the Parisian football team the Diables Rouges, with the tension between marginalized Parisian immigrants and the police.
- All American Boys by J. Reynolds: Quinn and Rashad struggle with standing up for what’s right when Quinn witnesses Rashad being beaten by a police officer.
These resource lists are produced to support teacher-librarians and teachers as they deliver instruction regarding the Character Education initiative and may be appropriate for read-alouds, literature circles, library displays, and more.
Please note the following points:
- These are selected resources based on favourable literature reviews;
- The Professional Library may own some of the listed books; teachers should also check their school libraries or local public libraries for availability;
- Teachers should preview the books for appropriateness before instructional use or recommending them to students.
- Related media resources are selected from TDSB Teaching Resources and the TDSB Virtual Library.
Access all the Character Education Trait Lists: https://bit.ly/PLcharactered Note: you must be logged in to your TDSB Google Account to view.
These links are available in TDSB digital spaces only. For more information, contact us at (416) 395-8289 or email@example.com.
For assistance with logging in to your TDSB Google account, please visit http://bit.ly/PLhowtologin.