December Character Ed.Resource Lists: Kindness & Caring
Submitted by Natalie C., one of our fabulous reference librarians:
The TDSB Professional Library has created an updated resource list of JK-12 fiction and multimedia materials supporting the December Character Education trait: Kindness & Caring!
TDSB teachers may Access all the Character Education Trait Lists – remember to login to your TDSB Google Account to view. The full list is available through the Professional Library AW Character Education List forum.
Here are some highlights:
- 🍁 Sidewalk Flowers by J. Lawson: A young girl shares flowers with passersby while on a walk with her father.
- The Snow Rabbit by C. Garoche: A kind rabbit helps a girl and her sister who is in a wheelchair when they get stuck in the snow.
- 🍁 The Road to Ever After by M. Young: An orphan living in poverty, Davy learns the value of kindness and caring when he agrees to chauffeur his new 80-year-old friend to the seaside cottage in which she grew up before she dies.
- Pax by S. Pennypacker: After Peter is forced to give up his pet fox, Pax, he embarks on a journey to get him back.
Young Adult Titles
- 🍁 Freedom’s Just Another Word by C. Stellings: A young girl from Saskatoon hitches a ride with two nuns to Austin, Texas to meet Janis Joplin and she and her travelling companions learn lessons of kindness and empathy along the way.
- The Secret Lies of Minnow Bly by S. Oakes: After escaping from a dangerous cult, Minnow Bly finds herself in a youth detention centre, yet perseveres by accepting the kindness of the other women in the centre.
These resource lists are produced to support teacher-librarians and teachers as they deliver instruction regarding the Character Education initiative and may be appropriate for read-alouds, literature circles, library displays, and more.
Please note the following points:
- These are selected resources based on favourable literature reviews;
- The Professional Library may own some of the listed books; teachers should also check their school libraries or local public libraries for availability;
- Teachers should preview the books for appropriateness before instructional use or recommending them to students.
- Related media resources are selected from TDSB Teaching Resources and the TDSB Virtual Library.
These links are available in TDSB digital spaces only. For more information, contact us at (416) 395-8289 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For assistance with logging in to your TDSB Google account, please visit http://goo.gl/hYRocG.