Professional Learning can be more than a workshop (see list of 35 things)
The June 2016 (37:3) issue of JSD: Journal of Staff Development includes, among many other things, a 2-page article titled Beyond the Workshop (pp 54-55) and it offers a bookmark titled “If not a workshop, then what?” This bookmark includes a list of 35 professional learning opportunities and activities for team or self directed professional learning. This is great list for the motivated teacher or the school leader who wants to encourage learning and commitment amongst his/her staff.
Here are 5 randomly selected activities from that list :
- engage in a cycle of inquiry with a team
- learn with the support of a coach
- read journals, magazines blogs books (Me: Yeah Professional Library – your partner in professional learning)
- participate in school improving planning
- share teaching success with board and community members
To obtain the full list TDSB teachers can :
- Contact the professional library for a copy
- Access it on the Learning Forward site – note that is a free/public resource but you have to go through hoops to register to get it (don’tcha hate that)
- Access it via the Professional Library ebsco journal database at this persistent link – you may need the TDSB passwords which you can find on this Google document http://bit.ly/PL-Passwords (remember to login using your TDSB password).
Check it out! Rowan