Mental Health of Ontario Students
The Center for Addiction and Mental Health has released a report titled the Mental Health and Well-Being of Ontario Students 1991-2015. Recent trends show an increase in adolescent psychological distress especially among girls.
Selected from their news release :
- More than one in three – an estimated 328,000 — Ontario students in grades seven to 12 report moderate-to-serious psychological distress;
- We were also surprised to see this number increase to 34 per cent in 2015 from 24 per cent in 2013;
- Our research indicates that the later teen years into the twenties is the peak period of stress for many people;
- The percentage of students who are screen-time sedentary has increased from 57 per cent since 2009, the first year of monitoring this behaviour;
- Problem video gaming is especially prevalent among boys in this age group, with 20 per cent reporting problematic symptoms compared with 5 per cent of girls.
Check it out!