Canada’s Virtual Gramaphone
How cool is this? Check out the Virtual Gramaphone: Canadian Historical Sound Recordings on the Library and Archives Canada site.
Virtual Gramophone is a multimedia website devoted to the early days of Canadian recorded sound, providing an overview of the 78-rpm era in Canada. The database contains information for 78-rpm and cylinder recordings released in Canada from 1900 to 1950, as well as foreign recordings featuring Canadian artists and/or compositions.
Selected audio recordings are available in mp3 and Real-Audio formats. The recordings include:
- First World War era military bands and popular music
- Recordings from the vaudeville era of the 1920s
- The music and entertainment scene in Quebec in the 1920s and 1930s
- Orchestral, instrumental and religious music
- Opera recordings by Canadian singers
Check it out!