CBC Curio inlcudes collection of 6 new stories on Aboriginal education
As promoted in the June 2016 newsletter from Curio:
Aboriginal Education Then and Now: Issue Controversies and Concerns is a “collection of six CBC News stories starts by delving into some of this year’s biggest news in Aboriginal education — recent revelations that Aboriginal children were subjected to nutritional experiments in residential schools. Justice Murray Sinclair and others weigh in on this controversy. The collection then explores issues cropping up in today’s classrooms: should Aboriginal students be permitted to smudge despite strict “no-scent” policies in schools? How did one Saskatchewan teen respond to her school’s demand she stop wearing her controversial Got Land t-shirt? Plus more…”
The stories are titled (note that the dates of these reports are from 2014):
- “Got land”: The controversial t-shirt slogan (2014)
- Aboriginal children used as test subjects (2014)
- An urban Aboriginal high school (2014)
- First Nations teen told not to smudge before school (2104)
- Justice Murray Sinclair: Nutrition experiments on Aboriginal children (2014)
- Rideau high supports Aboriginal smudging tradition (2014)
TDSB teachers have access to free access to Curio via the TDSB Virtual Library >Teacher’s Resources > Curio.
Check it out! They are very apropos after this week’s announcement/apology from the Ontario government.