May’s Character Education -Integrity
Submitted by Natalie C., one of our fabulous reference librarians:
The TDSB Professional Library has created an updated resource list of JK-12 fiction and multimedia materials supporting the May Character Education trait: Integrity!
The full list is available through the Professional Library AW Character Education List forum. Current and archived lists are also available through the Google Drive: http://goo.gl/zKYnEx *note: you must be logged in to your TDSB Google Account to view.
Here are some highlights:
- Dreams of Freedom: In Words and Pictures by Amnesty International: This book features famous quotations and children’s illustrations that promote the freedom to be yourself.
- Drum Dream Girl by M. Engle: Despite being told that girls can’t be drummers, a young girl decides to pursue her dream.
- 🍁 The Summer We Saved the Bees by R. Stevenson: Frustrated with his life at home, Wolf must take a stand to speak up for what he believes is right.
- The Trouble in Me by J. Gantos: Teenage Jack loses his way when he falls under the influence of his trouble-maker neighbour.
Young Adult Titles
- 🍁 Diego’s Crossing by R. Hough: Diego’s integrity is compromised when his brother Ernesto is injured, and Diego must deliver drugs for his brother to protect his family.
- 🍁 Say You Will by E. Walters: Sam changes who he is to try to fit in with his classmates and get a date to the prom.
These resource lists are produced to support teacher-librarians and teachers as they deliver instruction regarding the Character Education initiative and may be appropriate for read-alouds, literature circles, library displays, and more.
Please note the following points:
- These are selected resources based on favourable literature reviews;
- The Professional Library may own some of the listed books; teachers should also check their school libraries or local public libraries for availability;
- Teachers should preview the books for appropriateness before instructional use or recommending them to students.
- Related media resources are selected from TDSB Teaching Resources and the TDSB Virtual Library.
These links to the character education are available in TDSB digital spaces only. For more information, contact us at (416) 395-8289 or email@example.com.
For assistance with logging in to your TDSB Google account, please visit http://goo.gl/hYRocG.