How Students Learn
The April 2016 (97:7) issue of Phi Delta Kappan includes an article by Benjamin Riley titled the Value of How Students Learn (pp. 35-38), largely based on 2015 white paper titled The Science of Learning authored by Deans for Impact
From page 36 of the journal article: “The Science of Learning contains six key questions:
- How do students understand new ideas?
- How do students learn and retain new information?
- How do students solve problems?
- How does learning transfer to new situations?
- What motivates students to learn?
- What are some common misconceptions about how students think and learn? “
The author believes that teachers need to understand learning science to be effective teachers because it helps them understand the conditions in which learning is likely to occur and empower them to become more effective (p. 37).
TDSB teachers may request a copy of the article (will be emailed) from the Professional Library by contacting us at (416) 395-8289 or email@example.com
Check it out!