Capacity Building: OFIP
Every student/Every School: Ontario Focused Intervention Partnership for Elementary Schools. (2016, Feb.). Capacity Building K-12, #44.
From page 1: “In this monograph, we introduce you to the big ideas behind the Ontario Focused Intervention Partnership (OFIP) and share with you the lessons learned about school improvement by some of Ontario’s most challenged schools.”
From page 2:
- “While EQAO achievement is the sole criterion used to identify low-performing schools in Ontario, like low-performing schools world-wide they tend to have a significantly higher proportion of students living in challenging circumstances. “
- “OFIP has evolved from a more centrally directed initiative with expectations for target-setting, diagnostic assessments, improvement planning and implementation to one that is more locally developed and defined.”
- “At its simplest, OFIP assists school and board leaders, classroom educators and other key members of the school community, including parents and caregivers, in planning, implementing, monitoring and refining a school improvement plan.”
Pages 4-6 examines 5 common OFIP themes:
- Building leadership for learning;
- Holding the belief that all students can learn and acquiring a deep understanding of student learning needs;
- Building inclusive, collaborative relationships and committing to a collective goal;
- Focusing on effective literacy and mathematics programs, including the teaching of higher order thinking and problem solving skills;
- Connecting professional learning needs to student learning needs at the classroom level.
Page 8 includes a graphic Lessons for All Schools with 7 sections (not the similarity to the themes above:
- ensure equity as the foundation for excellence
- connect professional learning needs to sturende learning needs
- monitor impact
- focus on effective literacy and mathematics programs
- build relationships and work towards a collective goal
- understand student learning needs
- build leadership for learning
Check this out. Note that I was unable to find a current webpage devoted to OFIP.