Bookbash: Canadian Children’s Literature Festival , sponsored by TPL, is at Habourfront from from 12:00 – 4:00 p.m. It is a celebration of children’s literacy and the joy of reading and features storytelling, music, writing and illustrating workshops and demos, tech fun, puppet shows, theatre, magic, and author signings.
Authors include: Joel A Sutherland, JonArno Lawson, Ruth Ohi and Kenneth Oppel. The Ben McNally Bookstore at Habourfront Centre will host author signings and sell books by our guest authors throughout the day.
- Drop-in coding workshop with Coderdojo
- Toronto Public Library’s Pop-Up Learning Lab with Mini 3D Printer
- Hands-on demos with Toronto Public Library’s Sun Life Musical Instrument Lending Library
Check it out! It looks like a blast.
EQAO,the organization responsible for administering the provincial assessments, had scheduled October 2o for a trial run of the online – not paper – OSSLT (grade 10 literacy assessment) test. Because of widespread technical issues, the test had to be cancelled. Their alert includes this message for students “As you know, this was a trial. This means students will still be considered first-time eligible for the regularly scheduled OSSLT in March 2017 to satisfy the literacy requirement. We can also confirm that the March OSSLT administration will include a pen-and-paper version of the assessment, as originally planned.”
You may also be interested in reading EQAO’s earlier October news release titled Is Ontario Ready for Online Assessments?
Also read selected news reports from the Toronto Star ,CBC, Globe and Mail, CTV . As of this moment there is no official statement on the Ministry website although Minister Hunter’s comments are included in the news reports.
Welcome to the @ELLontario twitter chat. It is a learning tool that will inspire educators of English language learners (ELLs) through the sharing of innovative ideas and strategies that support their students. The hashtag, #ELLontario will allow you to connect and engage with educators on the 4th Wednesday of every month at 7:30- 8:30pm EST. Join our first twitter chat on Wednesday, October 26th on Supporting ELLs in Math.
Here are some recent titles from the Professional Library on DI. TDSB teachers may borrow by contacting the library at (416) 395-8289 or reserving them in the catalogue – remember to login first.
- Activités différenciées en français By Conklin, Wendy. Pasquier, Magali, 2015
- The differentiated flipped classroom : a practical guide to digital learning By Carbaugh, Eric M. et al, 2016
- Differentiated lessons for every learner : standards-based activities and extensions for middle school By Brown, KarBrulles, et al 2016
Differentiating instruction : planning for universal design and teaching for college and career readinessBy Thousand, Jacqueline S. et al 2015
Check out this Teach Ontario project page on using the Tragically Hip as the basis of an inquiry project into Canadian History. You will need to be a Teach Ontario member to access it – but it is free and easy to do. Rowan
The Canadian Education Association has released the latest in the one-page Facts on Education series , titled What is the Best Way to Indigenize Teaching Practices?
The authors offer 3 main suggestions to integrating teaching practices into Canadian Schools:
- Adapt initial teacher training to the pedagogical needs of indigenous students.
- Create stronger indigenous presence in schools by implementing holistic, community-based teaching practices.
- Deconstruct the false representations about First Peoples.
You have to read the document for the details! Check it out, Rowan
EduGains has posted a pamphlet (a jam-packed double-sided extravaganza) titled Fostering Student Independence: An Educator’s Guide and written by representatives from the Barrie region boards of education. ” The gradual release of responsibility model provides educators with the instructional framework to move from educator supports to student independence.” It is based around the following 4 steps:
- Demonstration/Focus Lesson
- Prompt/Guided Instruction
- Collaborative Practice
Check it out! Rowan